Monday 4 June 2012

The Fault in Our Stars

Hey!



I really haven't updated in a while due to two things.




1. I really do not like to post with no inspiration because I think it makes things messy and unorganized (which is me all over)

2. I have been completely snowed under with exams, exams, exams!



I cannot wait until summer then I will be able to post daily. Ok, so as promised in the title of my blog I said I would bring you all things that are fabulous and my past posts have mainly been fashion based which brings me neatly on to the next post...



Yes, you guessed it, give yourselves a round of applause it's 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green. Amazing, fantastic, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Words cannot describe this book so I will let amazon
set the scene as it were.

The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green, Amazon description

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means) Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly, to her interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

 I will give away no spoilers. If you knew me you'd know I am not usually into books like this, however, I love reading so I am willing to try anything. A friend recommended this to me, despite being apprehensive at first I was pleasantly surprised (with 'pleasantly surprised' really meaning jumping up and down and thinking "This is the most amazing piece of literature I have ever read in my entire life!" ahem...) 

The protagonist Hazel is not one of those sick teenagers you usually read about where you feel sorry for them and then after a while you start to find their constant "I hate my life's" becoming annoying and repetitive ( a little bit like Bella from Twilight except she was not ill and had no excuse for her constant whining). It's true that Hazel is cynical in her outlook on life but she makes you feel and understand her pain and she slowly grows on you. Her and Augustus definitely balance each other out which makes their characters more believable and 3-dimensional. Augustus is one of those men that makes us girls cry into our pillows at night screaming "Why won't you love us!". Augustus is kind to Hazel and brings out the best in her, he's also sweet, caring and despite the things he has gone through and all the obstacles he faces within the novel he still has a smile on his face and really shows true loyalty and compassion. 

This book evoked every emotion possible within me. It made me laugh, cry and made me want to beg John Green to write a sequel. It is definitely a must read! 

Until next time 

Erin



2 comments:

  1. Why is it that everytime I give someone a book to read and say about how good it is they never believe me!? I swear...

    ReplyDelete