Monday 15 July 2013

Book Review: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets

Today, I thought I would do something a little different that I have only done once before, A book review! The book in question is "The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets" by Eva Rice, which was actually recommended to me by a very good friend a few years ago. 


Can we first talk about this amazing cover? I am guilty of always judging a book by it's cover. When I am in a book shop the thing that makes me turn over the book to read the blurb is the cover, and this particular copy also has pink edged pages which make it a little bit different and a great addition to any bookshelf. 

If you know me, you know I love anything to do with the 1950's, the fashion, the food, the style and of course who can forget the Rock and Roll! Therefore, it is no surprise that this book is on my list of my favorite books of all time. 

The book is set in 1950's London where the world is recovering from World War 2, rationing is becoming a thing of the past and everyone is getting excited about a little musical craze sweeping the world called Rock and Roll. 

Enter our protagonist and trusty 18 year old narrator Penelope. The book opens with her standing at a bus stop when suddenly she is asked by a complete stranger called Charlotte to hop in to her taxi and accompany her to tea with her aunt,strange I know but so is Charlotte's crazy yet absolutely fabulous Aunt Clare, her strange yet witty cousin Harry and the loaf of Bread Julian (another great reason to pick up this book). 

The story follows Penelope falling into the glamorous world of Post War London with Charlotte and getting caught up in other plot twists along the way. She, however welcomes the change in scenery compared to her crumbling stately home that she lives in with her mother Talitha and her music crazed brother Indigo.  

This is one of those books where the story line is hard to explain because it is spread over a vast amount of time and there is so much happening but a story worth reading. I especially love the colourful and deep characters, they all have their own intriguing personalities and personal traits, for example Harry's dry sense of humor and his lack of decorum. Eva Rice really paints a beautiful picture of 1950's London through Penelope's eyes and something worth checking out if your looking for something fun and fantastic.Who needs a time machine when you have Eva Rice?

Until next time 

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment